Last night, American Express kicked-off the fourth year of their popular live stream music series “American Express Unstaged” with an exclusive sold-out performance by VampireWeekend, directed by Steve Buscemi.
The concert was live streamed globally from Roseland Ballroom on www.amexunstaged.com, one the last night of the Tribeca Film Festival. The show represented the 12th innovative pairing in the Unstaged series, which comes on the heels of Jack White directed by Gary Oldman, The Killers directed by Werner Herzog, Usher directed by Hamish Hamilton and many more. The series is a cutting-edge live event and interactive digital platform, bringing together popular musical artists with renowned film directors. Digital and social media connect the online audience to the live shows in unexpected ways.
Vampire Weekend performed a number of their chart-topping hits, as well as played new songs from their upcoming album MODERN VAMPIRES OF THE CITY, including Diane Young, Step, Unbelievers, Ya Hey, and Obvious Bicycle.
Fans tweeted #AmexUnstaged throughout the night to unlock an exclusive and online-only backstage performance including the band, Steve Buscemi and Ian Rubbish (Fred Armisen). #AmexUnstaged was the number one trending topic worldwide on twitter last night!
Highlights of the concert event include:
- Fred Armisen (SNL) served as the opening act for the evening
- Actor Zach Galifianakis having drinks with and chatting up comedian Seth Herzog
- Actor Jonah Hill was posted on the front row of the VIP balcony for the entire performance
- Steve Buscemi took the audience by surprise when he joined Vampire Weekend on the stage to sing A-Punk
- Other sightings included actor Jude Law and his new girlfriend Ruth Wilson
Photos by Donald Bowers, Credit: Getty Images for American Express